video by the amazing Monica Justesen
I’ve long been watching how retreats can bring people together, can provide a much anticipated oasis in the hustle of daily routine, and can spark big changes in the lives of both students and teachers. The problem is– not many of us can afford them.
So, I set off to change that and to bring yoga, travel, adventure and environmental action (four things I’m crazy passionate about) to more people. I have partnered with my dear friends in Costa Rica at a location I’ve been going to for years to make this possible and affordable. And I couldn’t be more excited…
In June 2015, we had our first Shine On Retreat and I was blown away! We had a large group who, within moments, were friends and after a week of adventures and yoga together, became family. We all still talk daily and get together regularly and I am thrilled to have had the chance to be immersed in this group. In 2016, we had the second annual Shine On Retreat and donated hundred of dollars to the local wildlife conservation effort. For this and so many more reasons, I am so excited to offer the third annual Shine On Retreat in 2017.
7 full days in a serene and remote hideaway with the jungle at your back and untouched, volcanic black sand beaches ahead– dreamy, right? The space is capped at 20 mats, so this will be a small group, traveling and practicing together in Costa Rica
The passionate and kind people, the untouched and breathtaking land, the local, delicious, and fresh food, the sense of a strong yet relaxed community– these are all reasons why I have come to fall in love with this area. I can’t think of anywhere else in the world I would rather share with others.
- Lodging, either in a little bungalow beach house, or in the big teepee beach room. Room mates will all come together as the date nears. So if you have a friend, you’re welcome to partner up. Yes, there is hot water, showers, and electricity. There’s even wiFi, but we’ll be too blissed out for Candy Crush.
- 3 meals a day! This is a big deal in the retreat world– and all of the food is local, freshly prepared in a community space that encourages conversation, practicing Spanish, sharing stories, and dancing! Vegetarian, vegan, and meat options are all offered. Alcohol is available and there will be nightly bonfires on the beach.
- Yoga (classes and full workshops)– each practice will have a balanced mix of meditation, pranayama (breath control), and focused asana on either the hips, heart openers, inversions, arm balances, and relaxation. Teachers can even record the hours as CEU’s.
- horseback riding on the beach and through the jungle (approx 5 hours)
- all day boat trip/fishing
- waterfall and nature hike… see monkeys, sloths, and beautiful birds
- surf lessons (approx 4-5 hours)
- one 50 minute massage
- If we are lucky and the local chocolate man is around, we will have a chocolate making workshop. Taylor will cover this cost for the group.
Entire adventure package $200
Pricing break down:
And yes, there is a monthly payment package! Cash, Venmo, money orders, or checks are accepted. No credit cards.
$1300 Retreat Fee includes yoga, lodging, meals, all tips included, and a portion of your fee is re-invested into the local wildlife conservation effort through the turtle nesting project (which you will learn about on location). + On location photographer/videographer captures the trip so you get to sit back, relax, and put your phone down for a change.
+ $200 full adventure package
= $1500 total
*Note* This price does not include travel. Once you arrive at the venue, everything is taken care of. Very cheap (bus) and very quick (puddle jumper flight) options will both be offered to get to the venue and back. Your budget is totally up to you. I can accommodate just about any travel budget.
June 11-17th, 2017
All information, including a detailed packing list and travel info will be explained once your space is confirmed. But you should know the following before inquiring:
You will first need to fly into Costa Rica. San Jose is the biggest city and often the cheapest for airfare (SJO airport). Please check your flight options before inquiring as we cannot issue refunds. Space is very limited and canceling your reservation will forfeit any money paid. From San Jose, either a puddle jumper flight (about $100 USD) can be taken to Golfito where a private taxi (only shared with other Shine On family) will pick all of us up, and drive us two hours into the southern jungles to reach the venue, OR a 7 hour bus ride (about $15 USD) can be taken to the venue. I will help arrange all of your travel within Costa Rica.
For those who may be traveling alone or for the first time, Costa Rica is one of the friendliest, most down-to-Earth countries in Central America. Most people in the cities, and definitely all police officers, speak english and are very helpful. This is a great place to visit for new and seasoned travelers alike.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org now for more information on payment plans, travel info, and to reserve your spot!