Each year, attendees on this retreat adopt sea turtle nests and then we wait patiently for months for this video to arrive. Here is our head count from 2018: 113 babies hatched in our nest! Learn more about our turtle conservation efforts with the Tortugas Punta Banco Project here.
2020 Dates Have Not Yet Been Chosen, Stay Tuned!
I’ve long been watching how retreats can bring people together, can provide a much-anticipated oasis in the hustle of daily routine, and can spark big changes in the lives of both students and teachers. The problem is– not many of us can afford them.
So, I set off to change that and to bring yoga, travel, adventure and environmental action (four things I’m crazy passionate about) to more people. I have partnered with my dear friends in Costa Rica at a location I’ve been going to for years to make this possible and affordable. And I couldn’t be more excited…
In June 2015, we had our first Shine On Retreat and I was blown away! We had a large group who, within moments, were friends and after a week of adventures and yoga together, became a little family. We all still talk daily and get together regularly and I am thrilled to have had the chance to be immersed in this group. In 2016 and 2017, I took three more groups to this paradise and we raised hundreds of dollars for the local sea turtle conservation effort. For this and so many more reasons, I am so excited to offer the Fifth Shine On Yoga & Adventure Retreat in 2018.
7 full days in a serene and remote hideaway with the jungle at your back and untouched, volcanic black sand beaches ahead– dreamy, right? The space is capped at 20 mats, so this will be a small group, traveling and practicing together in Costa Rica
The passionate and kind people, the untouched and breathtaking land, the local, delicious, and fresh food, the sense of a strong yet relaxed community– these are all reasons why I have come to fall in love with this area. I can’t think of anywhere else in the world I would rather share with others.
- Lodging, either in a little beach bungalow or in the big teepee beach room. Roommates will all come together as the date nears. So if you have a friend, you’re welcome to partner up. Yes, there is hot water, showers, and electricity. There’s even WiFi, but we’ll be too blissed out for Candy Crush. Usage of phones and laptops is discouraged.
- 3 meals a day, all diets are welcome! All of the food is local and freshly prepared in a community space that encourages conversation, practicing Spanish, sharing stories, and dancing! Vegetarian, vegan, and meat options are all offered. Alcohol is available and there will be nightly bonfires on the beach.
- Yoga (classes and full workshops)– each practice will have a balanced mix of meditation, pranayama (breath control), and focused asana on either the hips, heart openers, inversions, arm balances, and relaxation. All classes are CEU eligible for yoga teachers with YogaAlliance.
- Plus all of the adventure below!
- Horseback riding on the beach and through the jungle (approx 5 hours)
- Day-long boat trip with fishing and hiking.
- Waterfall and nature hike… see monkeys, sloths, poison dart frogs, and beautiful birds.
- Surf lessons (approx 4-5 hours)
- One 50-minute massage
- Raw chocolate making workshop: roast and grind your own cacao, then add your choice of local nuts, fruits, and jams.
And yes, there is a monthly payment option! If you require special assistance with payments or different terms, please reach out. I believe money should never be a limiting factor in life experiences.
Cash, Venmo, money orders, or checks are accepted. No credit cards.
$1500 Dorm Stay (several roommates in the big beachside teepee room).
$1650 Semi-Private (2 people per cabana).
There is no private option as this is a community-building retreat.
Both prices include everything: yoga, lodging, meals, adventures, taxis to and from the venue, and all tips. A portion of your fee is also re-invested into the local wildlife conservation effort through the Turtle Nesting Project (which you will learn about on location).
*Note* This price does not include travel to and from Costa Rica. Once you arrive at the venue, everything is taken care of. Very affordable (bus) and very quick (puddle jumper flight) options will both be offered to get to the venue and back. Your budget is totally up to you. I can accommodate just about any travel budget.
Dates for Summer 2018 are May 27th – June 2nd, 2018.
All information, including a detailed packing list and travel information, will be explained once your space is confirmed. But you should know the following before inquiring:
You will first need to fly into Costa Rica. San Jose is the biggest city and often the cheapest for airfare (SJO airport). Please check your flight options before inquiring as we cannot issue refunds. Space is very limited and canceling your reservation will forfeit any money paid. From San Jose, either a puddle jumper flight (about $100 USD) can be taken to Golfito where your private taxi (shared only with other Shine On members) will pick all of us up, and drive us into the southern jungles to reach the venue.
For those who may be traveling alone or for the first time, Costa Rica is one of the friendliest, most down-to-Earth countries in Central America. Most people in the cities, and definitely all police officers, speak English and are very helpful. This is a great place to visit for new or seasoned travelers.
Email Julie at firstname.lastname@example.org now for more information on payment plans, travel info, and to reserve your spot!